If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This dish can be modified in countless ways and, in fact, started out for me as a soup. It comes together quickly and is a great last minute hors d'oeuvres as many of the ingredients should already be in your pantry. I used almonds and cilantro in this version, but often make it with cashews. Parsley and tarragon are also great herbs to use. —savorthis
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and steamed, some steaming water reserved
- 1/2 cup sliced nuts, toasted
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated (I keep it in the freezer and use a microplane)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped herbs
- 2 tablespoons greek yoghurt or sour cream (optional)
- Sauté onion in olive oil until just starting to brown. Add garlic, coriander, cumin and ginger and cook for another couple minutes.
- Put carrots, onion mixture, nuts and lemon juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add water a tablespoon at a time if mixture is too thick.
- Eat as is to keep it vegan or mix in yoghurt or sour cream and adjust with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crackers, pita bread or grilled baguette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
Our Latest Contest
Show us your best vegan recipe
Show us your best vegan recipe.
Your new favorite Japanese dish.
We've got the summer blues.
How to use an entire bunch of cilantro.
A better basket.