If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I composed this salad, I was planning my first Thanksgiving dinner. I wanted a contemporary and clean dish to contrast the richness of all of the different family traditions that would crowd the buffet. The tenderness of the lettuce along with the brightness of the pomegranate seeds and palate-cleansing fennel, rounded out by the warming qualities of the hazelnuts and persimmons make this the perfect autumn salad. —wanderash
Persimmon and Pomegranate Autumn Salad
- 1 head butter lettuce about 1/4 pound (sometimes called Boston lettuce), torn into pieces
- 1-2 fuyu persimmon, sliced into wedges
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and lightly crushed
- 1 fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- Parmesan cheese, make thin wide slices with a vegetable peeler
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/3 cup Sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup hazelnut oil
- For the vinaigrette, whisk the first five ingredients together in a large bowl, when well combined slowly pour the oil in while you are whisking. To keep your bowl in place, put the bowl in a pot, or on a kitchen towel, rolled and made into a ring. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl, except the pomegranate seeds and parmesan. Pour 1/4 of the dressing over the salad and toss well. I dig right in with my hands and make sure everything is well coated and mixed.
- Taste a piece of lettuce and add more dressing depending on your preference.
- Divide evenly among 6-8 plates and sprinkle the pomegranate seeds and parmesan “peels” over each salad.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.