Author Notes: Tart but sweet, a versatile dressing for a fruit salad that can be a glaze or simply by folding in some whipped cream it becomes a creamy sauce - yummy over strawberries. My mother in law served this every year at Christmas dinner - it was a nice light touch after a big meal. I love to serve it in the summer- cool and refreshing - after a bbq'ed meal. - LuvLatte
Makes 1/2 cup maybe more
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- Grate the zest from each fruit into a medium sauce pan; then squeeze the juice from each fruit into the sauce pan.
- Stir into the zest and juice, the egg and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let cool; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Variation: to make a creamy dressing, when cooled, fold in 1/2 cup whipped cream. Cover and return to refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Dressing, without whipped cream, will keep covered in the refrigerator for 1 week. This works for any fruit, solo or combinations that you like. For a special occassion I have grated dark chocolate over the creamy sauce, and have also added toasted sliced almonds for a nice crunch; granola is good to.