If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I grow up the true sign of the winter coming close was the smell and the taste of the first orange or mandarin, after long wait through a very warm summer. Preferably the orange would have come from orchard at the end of the street where I grow up. So for me this amazing traditional Moroccan salad (which I learned from my almost mother in law), celebrates all this memories of winter coming in a warm country. This salad has unusual combination of tastes - sweet, salty, sour and a bit tangy from the Harissa. Make as much you can of it, it will be gone in a second. Share only with special guests that will remember it for long time and ask for it.
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
- 4 oranges (I prefer Valencia)
- 10-15 black olive preferably the dry salt cured or kalamata
- 1-2 tablespoons of Harissa
- Juice from half a lemon
- Tablespoon of chopped cilantro leaves
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- Segment the oranges: Remove the orange peel including the white part by stabling it on a board (remove the top and the bottom first) and cutting the peel from top down in strips with the natural curve of the orange. You better do it over a bowl because it will drip. Once peeled hold it in your hand and remove segment by segment by moving your knife between the segments. Cut each segment in half and put in a bowl. Squeeze the juice from the orange leftovers.
- Pit the olive if they are not pitted and cut in big pieces (half or thirds). Add to the bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix gently.
- Let it rest for 1 hour or two and then taste for salt and see if you want more Harissa.
- Good the next day too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
Forget Green Pesto
Here's why red is rad
Green pesto is so last summer.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Beet greens can't be beat.
Savor the season.