If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love grilled lettuces and throwing fruit with them. For this I decided to grill some fall fruit to bring up their natural sweetness to be paired with the lettuce. You could use the backyard grill, but I used a grill pan on the stove for this dish. When grilling the fruit, I get the grill very hot before adding them and don't keep them on the grill for longer than 15-20 seconds. You're not looking to make them mushy, just to bring up some sweetness in the fruit. If you wanted to make this into a lunch entree, you could easily add pork or duck proscuitto. - TheWimpyVegetarian
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons apple cider
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (I used the mild and creamy form)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl whisk together all the salad dressing ingredients except the olive oil and cheese until the ingredients are completely incorporated into each other.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil as you are whisking the mixture in order to completely emulsify the dressing. Whisk in the parmesan cheese. Set aside.
Fall Grilled Salad
- 20 figs, stems removed and sliced in half (averaging 5 figs per salad)
- 2 apples quartered, cored and thinly sliced (I used Granny Smith)
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Selection of lettuces including green lettuce, romaine, endive, radicchio
- Get your grill pan very hot over a high heat and lightly brush grapeseed oil over it. Lightly brush grapeseed oil on the apple slices and fig halves. When the grill is hot, lay the fruit on the rungs of the grill pan, flipping them after about 10 seconds. They should be sizzling, otherwise your grill pan isn't hot enough and you'll cook them down instead of searing long enough to bring up the sugar in the fruit. Remove the fruit and set aside.
- Brush the lettuces with a small amount of the dressing and place on the grill for about 15-20 seconds. Remove to your serving plates.
- Place the grilled fruit around the grilled lettuce. Add pomegranate seeds and crumbled gorgonzola. Drizzle with the dressing just before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.