If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: M'semen is a Moroccan crêpe that you can eat sweet or savoury. It isn't a liquid mixture like common crêpes, it's a dough that is stretched with your fingers into paper-thin thickness and folded into a square crêpe, which is then either fried or baked.
For the stuffed m'semen I chose a typical Moroccan filling with ground beef and spices.
Enjoy the m'semen with fresh mint tea.
- Maria Teresa Jorge
Dough For M'semen
- 7 ounces regular flour
- 7 ounces semolina flour - very thin
- 8.8 ounces water - tepid
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pinches active dry yeast
- 1 cup vegetable oil to stretch dough
Spicy Beef Filling
- 7 ounces ground beef
- 2 onions medium - chopped
- 1 garlic - chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch all spice
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander - chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley - chopped
- Sautée the onions in the olive oil until translucent. Add the minced meat,the garlic and the spices and cook stirring well to brown meat evenly. Allow to cool and add the chopped parsley and coriander.
- In you mixer combine both flours, sugar, salt and dry yeast. Start your mixer on low speed and add the tepid water gradually to make a dough. Continue beating for 10 minutes to get a very smooth and elastic dough - it should be soft but not sticky. Oil the ball of dough and allow to rest for ten minutes covered. If doing the dough by hand you will need to work it for 15 minutes.
- Oil your hands, the working surface (preferably marble or granite) and a big tray. Divide the dough into equal portions about a golf ball size (+ or less 20). Divide the filling into the same number of parts.
- Using your fingers, spread a ball of dough into a very thin circle on the oiled surface. The dough should almost be transparent (use as much oil as you need!)
- In the centre add your filling. Fold one third of the circle into the middle and then the opposite one third into the middle. You now have a long strip. Flip the strip over and fold each end into the middle. You now have a square with the filling between layers of thin dough.
- Put the square on the oiled tray and continue with the rest of the dough.
- To cook: Warm up a heavy frying pan. Take one m'semen, flatten it with the palm of your hand and place it on the hot frying pan. You don't need to oil it as the dough is already oiled. Allow to cook until golden on one side. Flip and cook other side.
- To bake, pre-heat the oven to 400ºF degrees. Place the flattened m'semens on a lined baking sheet and cook until golden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
Cook like an Egyptian
There's no de-Nile-ing this one-pot wonder.
Cook like an Egyptian.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We loaf this lunch.
Caesar salad goes vegan.
This is poppin'.