Author Notes: I have at least two grandchildren who won't eat vegetables unless they're disguised as something else. My eldest granddaughter thinks my zucchini bread is banana bread (because that's what we told her when she was very young). I don't even put a hint of banana in that bread and she still buys it. I decided to hide carrot in this pancake recipe and I just know she'll never figure it out. - inpatskitchen
Makes 8 to 10 medium pancakes
For the syrup
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the pecans. Saute them for a couple of minutes until they become fragrant and then add the maple syrup and heat to warm. Keep warm while making the pancakes.
For the pancakes
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup cooked mashed carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- The Butter Pecan Syrup
- Place the egg, milk ,carrots and maple syrup in a blender and blend until all the ingredients are smooth.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and then add to the blender a little at a time while processing.
- Pour 1/4 cupfuls of the batter onto a hot sprayed non stick skillet. Cook each side over medium heat until lightly browned. Serve with the syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory