If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dorayaki is a Japanese traditional snack of two pancake layers filled with very sweet bean paste. It's an unusual pancake because there's no liquid other than egg. My friend LE BEC FIN recommended using a cake ring, but I didn't have any. The Japanese use an onion ring! Slice the onion through the middle to make onion rings about 1/2-inch heigh. Soak in water to remove flavor. I just dropped batter from a cup. Don't use a sppon to spread out the batter, it then will be too thin for dorayaki. The bean paste is usually adzuki beans but white beans can also be used. - BoulderGalinTokyo
- 4 eggs
- 180 grams sugar
- 240 grams pastry flour or all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
Sweet-Bean Filling (An)
- 1 18 oz.-can Morinaga Ogura An (already-made bean paste) available from Amazon
- sugar to taste (may not need)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (katakuriko + 2 Tbs. water) optional
- Beat eggs and sugar together. Add flour and baking powder and mix a little more. Cover with cling wrap and rest for about one hour.
- Make An-- pour beans into a saucepan. Smash with a potato masher. Add sugar (its already sweetened) to make a very sweet paste (like icing). Turn on the heat to medium-low and keep stirring. If it stiffens up and becomes a thick paste, you are done. If not, you can thicken with the katakuriko dissolved in water, keep stirring and add to beans. Keep stirring until it thickens. (You can use cornstarch but it leaves a different texture and taste.)
- Make pancakes: Wipe a skillet with oil on a paper towel. Use a 1/4 measuring cup to measure batter, and drop into pan or hotplate grill. It will spread naturally. Cook until bubbles come up to surface, then turn over. When done, remove from pan. Cool.
- Spread An filling on top of one pancake, use more on edges than in the middle. Top with another pancake.
- Wrap in cling wrap and put in fridge. Eat soon or freeze.
- Note about mashing the An Filling: There are two versions of bean paste filling, one chunky like peanut butter and one very smooth which you can do in a food processor if you wish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.