Author Notes: This is a bright greenmarket salad that celebrates the grassy, fresh flavors of spring. Whenever I see pea shoots at the market, I can't resist buying some. Peppery arugula is a nice complement to the pea shoots, and a touch of honey in the snappy lemon vinaigrette echoes their sweetness. If you don't have Meyer lemons, regular lemon juice and zest are just fine. - merrill
- Juice and zest of one small Meyer lemon
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups densely packed pea shoots
- 4 cups densely packed baby or wild arugula
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and zest, vinegar, honey and salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly to emulsify. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the pea shoots and arugula. If you're using mature arugula, roughly chop it into bite-sized pieces. Put all of the greens in a large bowl.
- Add about half the dressing, toss gently and taste. If necessary, add more dressing, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.