If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’m not sure what makes this ice cream “French, ” but I am sure that it is the best-tasting vanilla ice cream ever. I've been making it so long I can't remember when I started - AND, if I go to long without it in the freezer, my friends call me on it. ;) It's such a good recipe that in summertime when I want to make a fruit "ripple," I always start with this for the basic recipe. —ChefJune
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 vanilla bean, or 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup organic pure cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Bourbon Madagascar vanilla extract (the vanilla I prefer for all desserts)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and use the tip of a small sharp knife to scrape out the seeds. Add the bean and the seeds to the milk in the top of a double boiler. Scald the milk mixture.
- Mix sugar and salt. Add the hot milk, stirring constantly, and return to the double boiler. Stir over boiling water until thickened.
- Beat the eggs and add a small portion of the hot mixture stirring all the while you are adding it. (You don't want to end up with scrambled eggs!) Return to the remaining hot mixture and cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture coats a metal spoon. Chill thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla extract and cream, and freeze in a hand-crank or electric freezer, following the instructions given with either.
- Teacher’s Tips: 1. Make the ice cream up to step 4 and refrigerate it overnight. The next day, it’s a snap to add the cream and churn it to perfect consistency. Do let it “set up” in the freezer for several hours before serving so the flavor reaches its peak. 2. When the ice cream is partially frozen, you can choose from many interesting adds to toss into the mixture: M and M’s, chopped Oreo’s, buttered, toasted pecans, chocolate chips… Let your imagination bring out the kid in you!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).