Author Notes: Stuffed paranthas are stuffed Indian Flatbreads. The most famous parantha is the one made from potates. In this recipe , I have made stuffing from Potatoes and scallions and it is very delicious. You would like it. It is easy and fulfilling. - PistachioDoughnut
Food52 Review: Having become obsessed with paranthas of all kinds when visiting India this past February, I was very excited to test these. They did not disappoint and made for very satisfying paranthas. I made do without a rolling pin so they were a bit thicker than Pistachio Doughnut probably intended (and I had some leftover filling that I ate happily on its own). Redolent of a knish but with a punch of fresh spices and a sharpness from the scallions, they made a lovely addition to dinner and breakfast the next day.
- bunches Scallions, washed and chopped
- 3 Medium sized Potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 tablespoon Green chilli and Ginger paste
- 1.5 teaspoons Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Oil + 1tbsp for sauteeing the stuffing
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1.5 cups Whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ghee + roasting/shallow frying the paranthas
- salt to taste for the dough
- Take whole wheat flour, ghee and enough water and knead dough out of it. And, leave it aside till we make the stuffing. Keep it covered with a damp towel.
- Take boiled potatoes, mash them up, add the garam masala, sesame seeds and season it well. Also add ginger /chilli paste. Keep it aside for a while.
- Take some oil in a pan on medium heat, add cumin seeds once the oil is hot.Then add the chopped scallions and saute them just a little bit to bring out the flavors and then add the potatoes mixture. Cook it for few minutes and mix everything thoroughly well. It should take about just 2 minutes to do so.
- So, the potato mixture is ready to be stuffed. Take the dough, divide it into equal parts and roll it out into small round shape. (If you like a flaky parantha then follow the pictures I have uploaded here by taking a little bit of ghee spread it on the rolled out dough, sprinkle some dry flour and make a rose bud, flatten out the bud and roll it out and then fill it with the potato scallion filling, seal it and roll it out). What I like to do personally, is roll out all dough balls into the flaky parantha style and make them into buds, and leave them. Then, take them one by one and roll out and stuff them all at the same time. The rolled out and stuffed parantha can be freezed upto a month or so. So, if you want to make ahead few and freeze them , at the time of serving just need to heat them on griddle. Take the potato and scallions filling, place it in the middle and take edges of circle and seal the stuffing and it should look like a round dumpling. Slightly, flat out the pointed part of the dough and you will have exact round shaped filled dough. Roll this out again into round size of a pancake.
- Now, gently roll this round of about a 1 inches of height and a medium sized round. Use a little flour if needed. Remember as we have filling inside , we should seal it in such a way that there is no air, or else it will break the while rolling. I understand if there is a little bit of filling popping out while rolling , its perfectly OK.
- Now, take a griddle heat it on medium heat and then drizzle some ghee or butter and place this parantha and cook it till golden brown on both sides. Press it once in while on each side.
- Remove them once all are done. Serve them hot with raita or chutney or lassi.