If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Too tired to cook? Sometimes you need a break. This sauce is ready in 10 minutes, so pick up some deli chicken (tofu for vegetarian/vegan) and a salad. This sweet dark vinegar sauce is delicious on leftover fried chicken, or can be used on poached, steamed, or grilled chicken. I used scallions but leeks are ok, just chop finely. Be sure to use a Chinese SEASONED vinegar (second picture) so you don't have to add soy sauce, etc. - BoulderGalinTokyo
- 200 grams scallions (spring onions), sliced into separate white and green slices (about 2 cups).
- 6 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar, Seasoned style
- 2 teaspoons agave (or a little less honey)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 2 teaspoons katakuriko (or 1 Tablespoon cornstarch) dissolved in 1 Tablespoon water
- 4 servings chicken: steamed, fried, grilled, or leftovers. (Or Tofu)
- Put the vinegar and agave or honey in a skillet and bring to a boil, lower heat to medium. Reduce sauce by about 25% (2-3 minutes, I'm using a gas stove). Taste and add a little salt if you think it needs it.
- Add white part of onions to sauce and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add green scallion tops to the pan, give one quick stir.
- In a little bowl, stir the thickening agent in the water to keep it dissolved. Add the thickener to the skillet while stirring constantly. (If using cornstarch add about half and wait a minute, if it doesn't thicken add the rest.) After about one minute it should be thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the sesame seed oil.
- Crisp up your leftover fried chicken (I like the Crisp cycle in my microwave). Or grill, poach or steam chicken. Serve with a side green salad and potato salad or rice.
- KATAKURIKO is probably closest to potato starch. Look for it in Asian groceries. It dissolves much better than cornstarch, and doesn't leave a gritty taste. Available on Amazon 2.99.
- Heat chicken however you prefer. I like to use the grill function on my microwave, but heating in an oven is fine too. Serve sauce on the side, or pour over only half of the chicken (to preserve the crispiness).
- VEGETARIAN/ VEGAN: This sauce is delicious on fried tofu too. Or use the tofu directly out of the package.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Soy
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.