If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is born out of a cooking mistake of mine. It is now a staple in my freezer, alongside my more traditional truffle butter and herb butters. I had wanted a spicy cream sauce to drizzle over my just-posted, light, warm-weather pea and ham soup. I accidentally turned the double cream into butter because I was not quick enough to turn off the mini-food processor I was using. One teaspoon of the butter in my soup makes an amazing difference. Magic for my palate at least. It is good on grilled seafood and meats. —krusher
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, very finely diced
- 1 hot chili, deseeded & finely diced
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 handful watercress leaves or arugula, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup dry white wine of reasonable quality
- 1.25 cups double cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Add olive oil to heated small frying pan. Also add to the pan red onion, hot chili, shallots, garlic cloves, salt and pepper. Gently stirring, cook the mixture until the various elements are softened but not browning.
- When soft, turn the heat up and add the white wine stirring all the while until the wine has evaporated off and the mixture has become drier. Add the watercress leaves and stir until completely wilted into the mixture. Take off the heat and allow to cool to a state of being just warm..
- Mix cream and and warm spicy onion mix. Ladle into a small food processor. Blend quickly to incorporate and stop as soon as it thickens to a butter like consistency.
- Spoon into cling wrap sheet and form into a sausage-like shape. Wrap tightly. Put into freezer until you need slices to enhance a dish or two. It is excellent in the pea and ham soup but it also stars when added to grilled fish or light meats.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.