Author Notes: This is a favorite recipe passed down to me by another nutritional science graduate student working in the same lab four or five years ago. I have never had a more moist banana bread before, let alone one that is completely whole wheat. - MrsFreed
Makes 2 medium loaves
- 2.5 cups Whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 0.5 teaspoons salt
- 0.5 cups buttermilk
- 4 large bananas, thoroughly mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and oil two medium loaf pans. Combine all the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, sugar and bananas. Add in the eggs. It may look somewhat curdled now, but that is okay.
- Gentle combine the dry and wet ingredients together. Stir in the walnuts, if desired.
- Pour into the 2 prepared loaf pans, and baked at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until done.