Author Notes: This is an incredibly popular and easy appetizer to make. It's great for the vegetarians that are vastly increasing in numbers. I like it because it has crunch and zing. - Judy at Two Broads Abroad
Makes about 20 pieces
- 1 Large jicama. Try to find one that is squat so that it's easier to slice
- 1 Ripe mango diced
- 1/4 Red onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/2-1 serrano pepper finely chopped (the amount will depend on how spicy you want the salsa
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- Peel the jicama. The easiest way is to cut the top and bottom so that the orb lies flat on the table. With a sharp paring knife, start from the top and shave off the outside skin.
- Trim the round jicama so that it looks like a white brick. Then slice into 1/4 inch strips. Cut the slices into triangles.
- In a medium bowl add the mango, onion, pepper, lime zest and juice. Toss. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add the diced avocado.
- Place triangles on serving dish. Place a generous tablespoon of the mango salsa on the triangles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes