If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grew up eating Alphonso mangoes, the best mangoes in the world. They've got a creamy deep orange pulp, rich and bulging with flavor. I'd eat them as is, but they make the best milkshake -- literally mangoes, milk and ice.
When my family moved away from the source of the holy mango (Bombay, India), we found other ways to fill that vacant mango gap in USA. My mom started making what she called "mango pie" -- a graham cracker crusted shell filled with canned mangoes enhanced by tangy cream cheese. Since I'm a vegetarian, I've converted her recipe from gelatin to agar agar and made it lighter so I can eat it more often. It is a perfect finish to any meal, but especially and appropriately the spicy one. - SmultronSoul
- 2 3/4 cups graham cracker or digestive cookie crumbs
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 1/2 cups Alphonso mangoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons agar agar flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F. Mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, cinnamon and sugar until combined. Divide between 6 mini tarts or a large 9-inch one. Press the crumbs evenly into the form. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, until a shade darker. Allow to cool.
- In a sauce pan, add agar agar and water and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes until completely dissolved.
- Blend mangoes, sugar and cream cheese until smooth. Add the agar agar syrup and blend to combine. Strain (for any remaining lumps) and pour into the prepared crust. Chill for 4 - 6 hours, or until set. Garnish with a few slices of mango.
- NOTE: You can find canned Alphonso mangoes in Indian stores, but you can also use another type of mango, in fresh, canned or frozen form. http://smultronsoul.blogspot.se/2012/03/mango-tartlettes.html
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes