If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The heat of the wasabi and the tartness of the beer give this mustard an addictive flavor! I had always wanted to make my own condiments, figuring they would be packed full of flavor and the only ingresients in them would be ones I actually wanted to eat. I saw a beer mustard in Saveur and decided that would be the one to try. I wanted some heat, so that is where the wasabi came in. Enjoy! —SouffleBombay
Makes 3 1/2 to 4 cups of mustard
- 12 ounces Guinness extra stout beer
- 1 1/2 cups brown mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Koser salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- Wasabit paste to taste (start with 1 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine ingredients in a large nonreactive mixing bowl. Cover your bowl with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 1–2 days so that the mustard seeds soften and the flavors meld. Stir your mixture around a few times a day.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor and process AND PROCESS until the seeds are coarsely ground and the mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Add in anywhere from 1/2 tsp of Wasabi to a couple tablespoonsful depending on your heat preference. Add in 1 TBS sugar after you process it and pulse a few times to incorporate it. Transfer to mason jars.
- left my mustard seeds whole as I enjoy the coarse texture, if you are looking for a smoother mustard you can use a mortar and pestle to break up some of the seeds or throw some seeds in your spice grinder or mill to change it up. This can be refrigerated for up to 6 months. The flavor of the mustard will mellow a bit as the condiment ages. This makes a great gift
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.