If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite desserts as a kid was bananas foster. For special occasions we would go to a restaurant in downtown Annapolis where they served the dish tableside. I was in awe and my dad and I would often try our hand at the art of flambe. I have grown out of a taste for bananas but mangoes are a current obsession. I thought they would take well to the caramelized sauce and I gave them a hit of spices and citrus. I used salted butter because I love the salty/sweet combo. Some people hate it and feel free to use unsalted if you prefer. Yum! Serve with your best vanilla ice cream. —meganvt01
Food52 Review: This is a superb way to treat yourself to some mangoes! I love the bit of ginger and lime zest. The mangoes hold up great and are delicious with vanilla ice cream. I may never go back to bananas foster again! —cgilsbach
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons mango nectar (I use Goya)
- 1/3 cup dark rum (or even a superdark blackstrap rum if you can find it)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 very large, very ripe mangoes - cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- vanilla ice cream - for serving
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and cook until browned (swirl the butter until the solids at the bottom get a nice, golden -- not too dark -- brown color).
- Add the sugar and ginger. Cook for about 2 minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the mangoes, mango nectar, cinnamon and cardamom. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rum, remove from the heat, and using a long match, light the rum on fire. Using a long handled spoon, baste the mangoes with the rum sauce until the flame dies out.
- Finish the dish by adding the lime zest. Serve over big scoops of vanilla ice cream.
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
No-bake desserts are cool.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
The freedom to snack.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.