If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: During mango season, my mom always makes a simple but incredibly tasty dessert of vanilla ice cream topped with cubed mangoes and amaretto. It's so basic but so good. I, however, can't get enough of grilled mangoes so have tweaked Mom's recipe a bit. To augment the liqueur flavor, I also like to add a few crumbled amaretti. Toasted almonds are a nice alternative to the crumbled cookies. In any case, this is a perfect dessert for hot summer nights of BBQ on the deck. Aah! - em-i-lis
- 1 Ataulfo mango, sliced into the thickest halves possible (just avoiding the seed line)
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto, divided
- your favorite vanilla ice cream
- 6 small amaretti (those lighter-than-air Italian cookies) or 1/3 c toasted, slivered almonds
- Preheat your grill to medium-high. While it's heating, pour 1 T Amaretto in a rimmed soup bowl and lay your mango halves, cut side down, on top. Get out your ice cream scoop and serving bowls.
- When the grill is hot, place the mango halves on the grates, cut side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes, turning clockwise 180° once during the cooking if you like criss-cross grill marks. Carefully remove the mango halves from the grill and let cool slightly. Cut like a "porcupine" (kid-speak) so that you're left with small cubes which you can then shave off the mango skin.
- Scoop a generous ball of vanilla ice cream into each of your serving bowls. Over each, toss half the mango cubes. Drizzle 1 T Amaretto over each mango-ice cream sundae and top with 3 amaretti (crumbled if you like) each (or toasted almonds if you prefer). Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.