Author Notes: The natural caramel taste and texture that comes from dates fascinates me. Mixed with toasted pecans, and you have yourself a natural indulgent treat!
It tastes like the inside of a Turtle’s chocolate but there is only natural ingredients used, making it totally fine to eat a ‘ hundred’ of them in one sitting, and serve as a healthy snack for your kids.
Enjoy some of nature’s caramel delights mixed with toasted pecans with, or with out dried cranberries! Happy eating! - CoconutsandCardamom
- I package (8) ounces pitted dates (Amport brand)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans (other nuts can work too)
- 1/8 cup chopped dried cranberries to roll in (optional)
- In a saucepan, mix together water, dates,and honey. Cook over medium heat until dates disintegrate and form a paste stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes).
- While the dates are cooking, take another pan, heat up on medium high heat and toast pecans (about 3 minutes) stirring occasionally to prevent burning. This is better to leave less toasted than to over toast/burn if you are nervous about your nuts. Your end product will still be delicious. Set Aside until date paste is done
- Remove date paste from heat and add vanilla and cinnamon. Let sit for 5 minutes to cool. Stir in chopped toasted nuts.
- Once cool enough to handle, roll into balls. Roll in dried cranberries if desired. Store in an airtight container.