If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The tropical flavours of mango and the freshness of kaffir lime are combined in a refreshing granita, which can also form the basis for a cocktail - topped with sparkling soda water, or a light coconut liqueur or both and rimmed with mint sugar! - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes a dish
- 3/4 cup demerara sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 - 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 - 4 ripe but firm mangoes, chopped (about 2 cups of pulp), reserve extras for garnish
- To Garnish - Mint sugar: Combine caste sugar and mint leaves in a mortar and pound/grind till the sugar is infused with mint
- Make a syrup: Combine the water, sugar and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer, stirring till the sugar dissolves. Take off the heat once the mixture is a bit thick and syruppy. Let cool, discard the kaffir lime leaves and refrigerate overnight.
- Continue on day two by blitzing the chopped mango with the syrup till smooth. Pass the mixture through a strainer and pour into your icecream maker. Churn till thickened and freeze, covering the top with clingfilm.
- Alternatively, pour into a shallow, freezer-safe container. Freeze for 2 to 3 hours, checking every half hour or so, and raking through with a fork, especially if you see ice crystals beginning to form.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped mangoes and mint sugar. Or make a drink. In the summer, add rasperries to the kaffir lime syrup.