Author Notes: The tropical flavours of mango and the freshness of kaffir lime are combined in a refreshing granita, which can also form the basis for a cocktail - topped with sparkling soda water, or a light coconut liqueur or both and rimmed with mint sugar! - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes a dish
- 3/4 cup demerara sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 - 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 - 4 ripe but firm mangoes, chopped (about 2 cups of pulp), reserve extras for garnish
- To Garnish - Mint sugar: Combine caste sugar and mint leaves in a mortar and pound/grind till the sugar is infused with mint
- Make a syrup: Combine the water, sugar and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil and turn down to a simmer, stirring till the sugar dissolves. Take off the heat once the mixture is a bit thick and syruppy. Let cool, discard the kaffir lime leaves and refrigerate overnight.
- Continue on day two by blitzing the chopped mango with the syrup till smooth. Pass the mixture through a strainer and pour into your icecream maker. Churn till thickened and freeze, covering the top with clingfilm.
- Alternatively, pour into a shallow, freezer-safe container. Freeze for 2 to 3 hours, checking every half hour or so, and raking through with a fork, especially if you see ice crystals beginning to form.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped mangoes and mint sugar. Or make a drink. In the summer, add rasperries to the kaffir lime syrup.