If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Every summer now, we look forward to the season for watermelon -- to eat, yes, but also to make a gazpacho found at www.soupchick.com. It's too soon now for watermelon, but the mangoes this year have been plentiful, and I wanted to see how they would adapt to the gazpacho recipe. Very well, I think! Colorful, simple clean tastes... the contrast of sweet and pungent, crunchy and soft made a satisfying experience. —susan g
Serves 6 - 8
- 2 medium mangoes, ripe
- 1 medium red pepper
- 4" pieces greenhouse (or pickling) cucumber
- 1 large shallot, or 2 small
- handful fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons squeezed lime juice (1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (fresh would be better)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 - 2 teaspoons hot sauce*
- fresh ground pepper**
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned, with liquid
- Cut the mangoes roughly. If very ripe, scrape any left behind, and put it all in the food processor. Pulse so that there are some small chunks and some puree. Turn into a bowl.
- Cut the pepper, cucumber and shallot into rough chunks. Put in the food processor with cut parsley pieces. Pulse to chop into small pieces. Add to the bowl with the mango.
- Add to the bowl the vinegar, oil, lime juice, and seasonings. Add as much of the tomatoes as you like to arrive at the right balance of liquids and solids -- more or less than one cup. Stir, taste, adjust the seasonings.
- *NOTE -- The recipe that inspired me uses Green Tabasco for a distinctive mellow heat. A red chile sauce or sriracha works, as long as the heat is balanced and all the flavors keep their identity. **NOTE -- I use a blend in my pepper grinder: 2 parts black peppercorns + 1 part pickling spice with broken chiles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Go Greek (Yogurt)
The secret to lighter, tangier whipped cream
Yogurt whipped cream: your new go-to.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.