Author Notes: Pretty pink slices of rhubarb suspended in a dense, moist, golden cake. Have a little slice for breakfast with a spoonful of crème fraîche. Or serve it up for dessert, alone or next to a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. The batter is versatile enough to work with most any fruit. If you make it with a sweeter fruit, consider reducing the amount of granulated sugar in the batter. - Bob Vivant
Food52 Review: WHO: Bob Vivant is a writer from Chicago.
WHAT: A crumb cake that celebrates the season.
HOW: Mix together your wet ingredients, add the dry, top with almond-y crumbs, and bake.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This is an any-time-of-day cake -- it's perfect for breakfast, brunch, snack, dessert, and anything in between. We can see ourselves adapting it to whatever fruit's in season -- and keeping this recipe in our back pocket for when guests drop by. - A&M
Serves 8 to 10
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Butter for greasing the pan
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose)
- 1 1/2 cup rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom and sides of an 8-inch, deep, fluted tart pan or an 8-inch round cake pan.
- For the crumb, combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Using a fork or your fingers, gently work in the butter until pea-sized lumps are formed.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and almond extract in a large bowl. Beat on high until the mixture triples in volume, about five minutes. Fold in the melted butter, flour, and rhubarb. Evenly spread the thick batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, until the topping is deeply golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the pan when it’s completely cool.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!