If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Aam Ras and "Puri" is nothing but ("Aam") mango ("Ras") puree with fried Indian flatbread. You need nothing because mango puree itself justifies everything. For a little salty spicy kick eat it along with some nice Mango pickle. We would have this as lunch or dinner most of the times during summer season. Sometimes my mom would make some "Rasawala Alu" potatoes in gravy as a side dish to go with the puris. Yum! when we serve Aam Ras, we top it off with a pinch of salt and cumin powder (totally optional) and just a tsp of ghee, yes ghee. And, should I say how to eat it. Just dip your puri in the aam ras and let your spoons enjoy themselves in the cabinet and allow your fingers to get messy. - PistachioDoughnut
Serves 3 to 4
Aam Ras - Mango puree
- 5 to 6 cups Mangoes pureed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Ghee , totally optional
- pinches Salt and Cumin powder, this is also totally optional
- Just take the mangoes and puree them use a little bit of milk. It will thick and that is how it should be. Keep it in the refrigerator till the puri are done.
Puri - Fried flatbread
- 2 cups Whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons Oil + for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- Take the flour and mix in the salt, add the oil and knead dough by gradually adding water. The dough should not be very stiff nor too sticky.
- Once the dough is ready , divide it into small sized equal parts. Take each round and roll it out with the help of a rolling pin into small sized rounds. You can finish rolling out all the dough balls. Do not roll them out real thin or they won't rise in the oil.
- While you are rolling out the flatbread, you can heat oil in a wok for at about 350 F and then as soon as the oil is hot drop the puri one at a time or utmost two. Dip them totally into oil. In just few seconds you would see them popping up or rising up on one side. It's ok if all your puri doesn't rise , it happens to lot people who cook regularly also.
- At this moment, flip it on the other side. Cook it well. And, remove it on a tissue paper to absorb the extra oil.
- Take the mango puree in a small serving bowl and serve puri on side along with some pickle.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Chop to It
Salad with one rule: chop it real good.
Let's get chopping.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
Rock the roast.
This is poppin'.