If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe utilizes mango twice--once as part of the marinade, and once in the slaw. Sadly, I don't have access to a grill, but if you do, feel free to cook the steak and the corn on it. I bet the char would make this sandwich even tastier. - cristinasciarra
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 mango, mashed
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon gros sel
- 1 healthy nub of ginger, sliced
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into batons
- 1, not too ripe mango, peeled and cut into batons
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 2 cobs of corn
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to your preference)
- a few handfuls of arugula
- pinch of sea salt, crack of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 baguette
- Prepare the marinade: Mix/mash up the marinade mango, lime juice, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and ginger in a big bowl. Make little slits all over the flank steak before submerging it in the marinade.
- Make sure the steak is covered completely. Keep it in the bowl and cover with plastic, or move everything to a large ziplock bag. Refrigerate for about 12 hours.
- Before cooking, allow the steak to return to room temperature. Dab the steak with paper towels, so it isn't so wet. Cook in a lightly oiled cast iron pan, a few minutes per side. Let it rest about 8 minutes before slicing.
- Peel and cut the mango and jicama into small batons. Toss in a small bowl with the juice of 1/4 lime.
- Remove the husks from the corn, and steam the cobs until the kernels are bright yellow. Let them cools slightly, and then remove the kernels with a knife. Empty them into a medium bowl. Add the Greek yogurt, the Parmesan and the cayenne. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix a quick dressing with the salt, pepper, white vinegar and olive oil. Add the arugula, and toss to cover evenly.
- Cut the baguette into 4 even pieces, and them slice them in half. Toast the slices if you like.
- Layer the sandwiches: mango/jicama slaw, steak slices, corn and then the salad. These sandwiches pair well with Mexican beer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes