Author Notes: This recipe utilizes mango twice--once as part of the marinade, and once in the slaw. Sadly, I don't have access to a grill, but if you do, feel free to cook the steak and the corn on it. I bet the char would make this sandwich even tastier. - cristinasciarra
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 mango, mashed
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon gros sel
- 1 healthy nub of ginger, sliced
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 small jicama, peeled and cut into batons
- 1, not too ripe mango, peeled and cut into batons
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 2 cobs of corn
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to your preference)
- a few handfuls of arugula
- pinch of sea salt, crack of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 baguette
- Prepare the marinade: Mix/mash up the marinade mango, lime juice, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and ginger in a big bowl. Make little slits all over the flank steak before submerging it in the marinade.
- Make sure the steak is covered completely. Keep it in the bowl and cover with plastic, or move everything to a large ziplock bag. Refrigerate for about 12 hours.
- Before cooking, allow the steak to return to room temperature. Dab the steak with paper towels, so it isn't so wet. Cook in a lightly oiled cast iron pan, a few minutes per side. Let it rest about 8 minutes before slicing.
- Peel and cut the mango and jicama into small batons. Toss in a small bowl with the juice of 1/4 lime.
- Remove the husks from the corn, and steam the cobs until the kernels are bright yellow. Let them cools slightly, and then remove the kernels with a knife. Empty them into a medium bowl. Add the Greek yogurt, the Parmesan and the cayenne. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, mix a quick dressing with the salt, pepper, white vinegar and olive oil. Add the arugula, and toss to cover evenly.
- Cut the baguette into 4 even pieces, and them slice them in half. Toast the slices if you like.
- Layer the sandwiches: mango/jicama slaw, steak slices, corn and then the salad. These sandwiches pair well with Mexican beer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes