Author Notes: I love the taste and flavours of this sauce, perfect for dunking southern fried chicken tenders in. That's what we did. - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes ~ 2 cups
- 2 cups mango chunks, pulp from ripe mangoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno pepper (or to taste), chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup orange juice and 2 teaspoons (microplaned) orange zest
- Juice of 2 limes, and ~ 1 teaspoon zest, extra lime to 'finish'
- Brown sugar, to taste (start with 2 - 3 tablespoons, depending on the sweetness of your mangoes)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons garlic & ginger paste
- Seeds of 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Angostura bitters, plus more to 'finish'
- Chopped cilantro leaves, to garnish
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer. Let simmer till the bell pepper and onions have softened, about 10 minutes. Check seasonings and adjust as required.
- Take off heat and let sit. Just before serving, add a few drops of angostura and a squeeze or two of lime juice. Top with chopped cilantro and serve to dip, with white rice and other sides.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes