If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the taste and flavours of this sauce, perfect for dunking southern fried chicken tenders in. That's what we did. - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes ~ 2 cups
- 2 cups mango chunks, pulp from ripe mangoes
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 Jalapeno pepper (or to taste), chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup orange juice and 2 teaspoons (microplaned) orange zest
- Juice of 2 limes, and ~ 1 teaspoon zest, extra lime to 'finish'
- Brown sugar, to taste (start with 2 - 3 tablespoons, depending on the sweetness of your mangoes)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons garlic & ginger paste
- Seeds of 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Angostura bitters, plus more to 'finish'
- Chopped cilantro leaves, to garnish
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer. Let simmer till the bell pepper and onions have softened, about 10 minutes. Check seasonings and adjust as required.
- Take off heat and let sit. Just before serving, add a few drops of angostura and a squeeze or two of lime juice. Top with chopped cilantro and serve to dip, with white rice and other sides.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes