If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The basis of this riff on a recipe by the wonderful Maida Heatter came about because I wanted a heavier cake with more texture, the nuttiness of whole wheat and pecans, and significant cardamom and lemon flavors. (To achieve the latter, I used my technique of grinding together the sugar,zest and spice.) I filled the cake with mangoes and blueberries, which remind me of the beautiful blue and yellow breakfast room at Monet's Givergny, where I wish I could have served him this as a breakfast coffee cake! —LE BEC FIN
Lemon Pecan Cardamom Cake:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups AP white flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 3 tablespoons freshly ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces ( 2 sticks) of softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup toasted pecans, roughly ground
- Spray with non stick spray the bottom and insides of a 9" or 10" x 3" H cake pan with removable bottom. Place a parchment round on the bottom; spray.
- Combine the sifted whole wheat and white flours; sift again.Remove 2 cups and sift in baking powder and salt. (Add leftover flour mix back into white flour.)
- In a mini processor, grind together 1/2 c. white sugar, zest of 2 lemons, 3 T. freshly ground cardamom, til almost soupy. Transfer from machine to a bowl .
- Beat 2 sticks of softened unsalted butter in a mixer w/ a paddle until soft and light. Add above sugar mixture, remaining 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 tsp vanilla,1/3 cup packed light brown sugar. Add 2 lg.eggs while beating , just until incorporated. Add 1 c. sour cream and beat til just incorporated.On low speed add the flour mixture and beat just until smooth. Add 2/3 c. roughly ground toasted pecans and mix very briefly.
- Turn half the mixture into the pan, smooth the top, spoon the blueberry filling on top of it, keeping it 1/2 to 1 inch away from the pan edges.Repeat with a layer of the chopped mango. Turn the other half of the cake batter onto this. Smooth top.
- Bake about 40-60 min. for the 10" pan; more for the 9", til the top of the cake springs back when pressed lightly with a fingertip. and skewer comes out with no traces of batter . Remove from oven and let the cake stand on a rack for 15 minutes.
- Run knife around inside pan edge;push up base to remove cake from pan sides. Place on a rack .Spread glaze over cake and let it drip down the sides. Let it cool and set up. Taste improves overnight.
Blueberry and Mango Fillings; Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- 1 cup ripe mangoes**( about 7 ounces gross weight) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice, drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- hot water
- In a colander, rinse and dry 1 c. fresh blueberries. In a bowl, combine berries, 3 T. granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon ,1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg and 1 tsp lemon juice*. Stir. Let sit. (* Before juicing the lemon, finely grate the peel of 2 lemons for the batter . Rasper/micro plane works best. ) In another bowl, combine the mangoes and sugar; let sit.
- While cake bakes, prepare the glaze . In a bowl, combine 1 c. powdered sugar 2 T. lemon juice and just enough hot water til glaze is just thin enough to pour. Set aside.
- Note**- If you choose to use only blueberries,you can add another 1/2 cup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.