Author Notes: My mother used to make this cake. I think that she found the recipe in our local newspaper many years ago . Sebastopol which used to be covered with huge groves of apples (famous for Gravensteins) is very close to Petaluma, which is my home town and also my mother's and my grandmother's. My mother was not a very good cook but she was a great cake baker. - dymnyno
Serves 1 cake
- 4 cups diced apples (about 7 apples ,peeled)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup oil or butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix the diced apples with eggs. Then add sugar, cinnamon, oil, and nuts. I have used both oil and I have used butter...both work.
- Sift flour, soda, salt and mix into wet ingredients.
- Pour into a 9 x 12 loaf pan or tube pan which insures that the middle is evenly cooked and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. Check to see if the center is cooked with a knife, if you don't use a tube pan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You