Author Notes: its just a classic relish, simply something whipped together on a whim.. No exciting stories of discovery here. I usually just use mangoes in this recipe, but there was a lone meyer lemon sitting on my counter, its gorgeous orange skin a beckoning.. I didn't have the heart to let its lustre fade away and shrivel just because it wouldn't fit into the jar with its preserved lemon brethren...
Makes 1 cup
- 1 Meyer Lemon, Quartered, de-seeded & sliced thin
- 1 cup peeled & finely diced raw mango.
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper powder
- 1-1.5 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons sesame or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- Combine the Mayer lemon, mango salt, cayenne & turmeric in a ceramic bowl.
- Heat the oil until it 'shimmers' add the mustard seeds and allow to sputter. Pour the hot oil with the mustard over the mango & lemon mix. Stir to combine. Allow to rest for about an hour for the flavors to integrate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes