If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Flaky buttery croissants, almond paste, dark chocolate bits, soft mango cubes, toasted almonds, all bound with a brandy custard. While this is a very rich dessert (noooo, really?!) the tangy mango really helps with the flavor balance. When it follows the clean bright flavors of an Asian dinner, this dessert decadence makes for a well balanced evening. - LE BEC FIN
- 6 Trader Joe's Almond Croissants (or plain )(20 ounces) cubed
- 6-12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, 72% preferred (Trader Joe's bar is excellent)
- 1 cup Toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 4-8 ounces almond paste, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 2/3 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, chopped
- Cube croissants, spread out on sheet pan and air dry for a day, or toast lightly in 250 degree oven ½- 1 hr..
- Spread croissant cubes evenly in a buttered or non stick sprayed 9 x 12” non-metallic baking dish. Distribute almonds, chocolate, almond paste and mango in the pan. Whisk egg yolks and eggs til combined, add liquids, sugar and salt. Pour over the dish, pushing down on the croissant mixture. Dot with butter. Cover and chill 1 -24 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees, 40 minutes until lightly browned and custard is set. Cut and serve as is or napped with vanilla crème anglaise.
- Notes: Substitute for additions (nuts, fruit, chocolate, brandy) or milk for cream as you like. I also really like my version using chocolate, almonds, almond paste, dried cranberries or dried sour cherries, and candied orange peel.
- Note: This freezes well.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Stop the soap opera.