If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have adored strawberry muffins ever since I first made a strawberry muffin Jiffy mix when I was a little girl. As I grew up, those red pellets that stood in for the strawberries really started to skeeve me out, but in searching out more wholesome alternatives, I realized that all-natural, from-scratch strawberry muffins -like strawberry cake- aren't that easy to come by.
I make muffins at least once a week for my family, and this Strawberry Muffin recipe totally hits the spot when my yen for them peaks. I like the depth the browned butter provides, and sometimes I add lavender, sometimes not. The muffins are perfect either way! —em-i-lis
Makes 12 muffins
- 2½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unrefined, granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1¼ cups strawberries, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons whey, or buttermilk, or cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons food grade lavender, chopped, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin. In a small saucepan set over medium or med-high heat, brown the butter. Set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gently toss in the chopped strawberries and lavender if you’re using it. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, whey (or additional buttermilk) and browned butter.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir gently until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups, and bake 16-17 minutes or until golden brown and set.
Move Over, Boozy Pops
We Prefer Our Pops All-In
We shall call them pop-tails.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
It's in the bag.