Author Notes: This recipe appears in my book as "Bucatini Amatriciana with MP3 File Sharing Technology." That one's a little complicated (but very funny) so I've removed the technology and simplified it for you here. - Giulia Melucci
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pancetta, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small (14-16 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 pound bucatini
- 1/4 cup pecorino romano, grated by you
- freshly gound pepper
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a skillet large enough to hold the sauce and the pasta. Add the onions and pancetta and let them cook until they are nicely caramelized. Meanwhile, put up a large pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- Add half the tomatoes to the onions and pancetta. Your water should be boiling, add a good dose of salt and the bucatini and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking add the rest of the tomatoes to the sauce and continue cooking until pasta is ready.
- Drain the pasta well, add it to the skillet with the sauce and continue cooking the pasta with the sauce for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat, add the cheese and a little freshly ground pepper. Serve in warm bowls.