Author Notes: Ok, so admittedly this isn't so much a set-in-stone recipe as a vehicle to use up the leftovers in my fridge. Still, it incorporates some of my favorite ingredients: crunchy baguette, spicy radishes, soft, fresh scrambled eggs, avocado, sea salt and hummus. It makes for a quick and tasty brunch or lunch. - cristinasciarra
- 1/2 a small red onion
- a small bunch of radishes
- sea salt, black pepper
- 4 eggs, as fresh as possible
- about 4 inches of a baguette, split in half
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/2 an avocado
- Finely mince the onion. Wash and dry the radishes, and then cut them crosswise into slivers.
- Set a well-seasoned pan over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook until translucent.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl. Whisk the whites and yolks together, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- When the onion is almost finished cooking, add half of the radishes. Cook for a minute or two. Lower the heat to medium-low, and add the egg. Let the egg cook low and slow, whisking as they cook.
- Meanwhile, toast the baguette halves.
- Remove the eggs from the heat when they are almost finished cooking; the residual heat will finish them off.
- Swipe the still-warm baguette halves with the hummus. Add the avocado next, either in strips, or mashed into the hummus. Sprinkle each toast with sea salt and pepper.
- Add the scrambled eggs next. Finish each toast with a topping of the remaining radish slivers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips