If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have a confession to make - I had never cooked with a spring radish until I made this dish! I am used to the winter radish that we get in India (like a daikon) but I had never seen anything like these cute little red ones!
Since I had seen these radishes being used in Mexican cuisine, I thought of making an appetizer where the peppery radish would pair up with the sweet Mexican shrimp and then serve them on tortilla chips to provide a nice crunch. (Since some of the tortilla chips can be a bit unwieldy, I think serving these in little tortilla scoops would make for an easier bite). Enjoy! - Madhuja
Makes 10 bite sized appetizers
- 1/2 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 10 large sized shrimp (31-40 per lb), peeled and deveined
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 ripe tomato, small diced
- 1 tablespoon sourcream
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, for sauteing
- 5-6 radishes (I used Easter egg), sliced
- 10 tortilla chips (scoops would also work great)
- On medium heat add the olive oil to a medium sized saute pan. Add the onions and saute until soft and cooked through - about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute - don't let it burn!
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder and chipotle powder and saute until the spices are fragrant. Add the shrimp and cook for 3-5 minutes, until they turn pink.
- Add the tomatoes and saute for about 30 seconds. Add salt and check for seasoning. Set aside.
- In order to assemble, add a few slices of radish on each tortilla chip and then place a shrimp along with a some of the onion mixture on top. Place another radish slice on top of the shrimp and put a dainty dollop of sour cream on top of that. Finally scatter some chopped cilantro on top. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.