Author Notes: It just seemed like a natural. I like really whole foods like this and in a dessert it is even better, to me anyway. If you choose to serve it warm, realize it will be very tender and needs a light hand when serving. If you want to up the sweet-salty combo, add another 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the granola. - thirschfeld
Makes 8 pieces
For the crust
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon
For the tart
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons sprouted quinoa
- 3 tablespoons hulled buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup honey, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375?F. In a large mixing bowl combine the rice and oat flours, salt, and sugar. Cube 12 tablespoons of butter and, just as you would with biscuits, cut in the butter until the crust looks cornmeal-ish -- you know how that goes. and doesn't it depend on your mood as to how far you take this step?
- Using an eight-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, press in the crust starting with the sides and working to the middle. Press it in as evenly as you can.
- Bake in a preheated 375? F oven for 30 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, combine the ricotta, honey, and vanilla. Don't combine it too vigorously -- I sort of like it swirly.
- At the end of the thirty minutes remove the crust. It will be puffy. Let the crust settle, collapse, drop, whatever you want to call it, and then gently smear on the ricotta-honey mix. Top with the granola, gently press the granola down, and put the tart back into the oven.
- Reduce the heat to 350? F and bake the tart another 25 minutes.
- While the tart is baking, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave. Swirl them together. When the timer goes off, drizzle the honey butter over the tart and then put it back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- When the tart is done, cool it to room temp and then put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight. I would cover it if I was leaving it in the fridge overnight.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!