If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was first introduced to deviled eggs by a lady born in the south whose home I shared when I was in college.I still consider them a neat little snack that has its way of taking the edge off of hunger in a true wholesome manner, and yet doesn't make it difficult to stop at just one because of the richness of their traditional preparation. This is a variation of mine that is quite light though and could make a light dinner with a slice or two of toast. - Droplet
- 5 eggs
- 7 radishes
- 1-3 stalks green garlic
- 10-15 mill turns black pepper
- 10 Feta cheese cubes, 3/4 inch
- 1/4 cup sour cream, full fat
- salt to taste
- Wash the eggs one by one and lay them in a single layer in a small pot. Cover them with lukewarm water by 1 inch and place over medium-high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, place the lid on, turn off the heat and let them sit undisturbed for 15 minutes. Drain the water from the pot with the lid slightly askew (it's ok if the shells crack as they roll inside) and immediately pour ice cold water over the eggs. You can replace the water after a while to speed up the cooling process or start peeling the eggs once you feel they can be comfortably handled. Slice each egg lengthwise and arrange them on a plate to allow the residual moisture from the yolks to evaporate. Then scoop the yolks out in a bowl, add 1 Tbsp of sour cream and mash them with a fork.
- Trim radish greens and rootlets and wash them well to remove any sandy bits. Dry them well and placing them flat on their cut off top, slice their four sides, leaving you with a cube shaped core (crunch those up). Mince the sliced parts very finely (about 1/8"). Resist the urge to do this step in a food processor as that will make the radishes release more liquid. Transfer the minced radishes to a dry bowl and mix with 1 Tbsp of sour cream.
- Cut out the bright white bottom part of the garlic and anything above the point at which the leafy part begins. Slice the light green stalk into two or three crosswise, then slice each part lengthwise once and then lengthwise again, and mince finely. Add to the radishes. Green garlic varies in height and stalk thickness so determine how many you need based on that. Aim for about 3/4 tsp minced for each egg half.
- Mash your feta cubes along with 1 Tbsp of sour cream. Feta, too, varies in creaminess and saltiness. If possible use creamy feta here, and account for the salt level when seasoning the filling with salt in the last step. Add the yolks to the feta along with 1 Tbsp sour cream and mix until smooth and creamy. Then add the minced radishes and garlic , the last tablespoon of sour cream, the black pepper and salt if any, and mix everything together.
- Scoop the filling into the egg white cavities and finely grind a bit of extra black pepper on top. Garnigh with a sprig of green, if you wish (parsley, dill...).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radishes or Turnips