Author Notes: I love salmon and I could eat it four or five times a week when it's fresh and in season. The challenge is that my carnivorous husband does not share my passion-probably just an indicator that I have yet to get enough fish oil into him! But because I am also a Costco-a-holic, when they get fresh, line caught Coho Salmon in I have to buy a gi-normous piece and this was an effective way to "hide" the fact that we were eating salmon two nights in a row.
The flavor infused from the Chipotle, green onion and cilantro compliments the fresh fish without overpowering it. Using goat cheese with fig adds a little bit of unami to the recipe and acts as a binding agent to boot; you may use plain goat cheese but you won't be getting that sweet and savory taste which is so good. The end cuts of the asparagus not only allow you to use what is normally thrown away, but they add an interesting crunch factor to these incredibly tasty burgers.
Creating a Crema of avocado and yogurt, topped with fresh Pico de Gallo finishes off this healthful and delicious summer meal. - SaucyCooks
To Make the Salmon Burgers
- 3/4 pounds Boneless, skinless salmon
- 1-2 Chilies in Adobo
- 2 Scallions, white part with about one quarter of the green
- 16-18 2 inch pieces of asparagus stalks
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- 1 1/2 ounce Goat Cheese with Fig (can use plain)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalyan Pink Salt
To Make the Pico de Gallo & Avocado Crema
- 1 Ripe tomato
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon Chopped cilantro
- 1/3 Finely chopped jalepeno pepper, seeded
- 1/4 Ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon Plain Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Chipotle powder
- To Make the Salmon Burgers: Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until chopped and combined. You want to see some smaller "Chunks" in the meat mixture.
- Form into patties. They will be "sticky". Place on plate or board and put in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. When ready to cook, heat a cast iron griddle pan over high heat. Spray lightly with oil and sear the patties on each side. They will cook in about 3 minutes per side.
- To Make the Pico de Gallo: Chop the tomato into a fine dice, add onions, cilantro, jalapeno and stir to combine.
- To Make the Avocado Crema: Mash the avocado with a fork. Stir in all other ingredients to combine.
- When ready to serve, top each burger with a heaping spoonful of crema and top that with a spoonful of Pico de Gallo.