Author Notes: Inspired by Donna Hay‘s recipe for Malt-Roasted Chocolate and Almond Muesli in the Summer 2012 magazine. I used a mix of sunflower seeds and pepitas, but it’s equally tasty when you substitute coarsely chopped almonds for the seeds. - Bob Vivant
Makes 8 cups
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup malt powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the oats, coconut, seeds, malt powder, and cocoa powder.
- Combine the water and brown sugar in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and cook for one minute. Remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut oil, dark chocolate, and sea salt until the chocolate is melted.
- Pour the hot syrup over the oat mixture and mix until well combined. Spread the mixture across a large jelly roll pan or two small rimmed baking sheets.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until crisp.
- Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.