If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A crisper drawer full of scapes had me desperate. Despite my best efforts to use them all, the pile was growing. I stole my husband's favorite brewing spice, grains of paradise, and took out my anger via mortar and pestle. Grains of paradise has a light peppery finish, with a touch of astringency.
Makes 1/2 cup
- 6-7 Garlic Scapes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, (packed in water or oil)
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup Good Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Grains of Paradise
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Chop the garlic scapes into small segments. Combine the scapes, capers, lemon zest, grains of paradise and sea salt in a food processor or a mortar. If food processor, pulse until it is a chunky paste. Process more if you want a smoother consistently. If using a mortar, beat and mash vigorously with pestle. Mortar and Pestle is a great stress reliever if you've had a really bad day.
- Add two tablespoons of lemon juice and beat the ingredients with the pestle some more. Drizzle in the olive oil; mash everything until it is thick and thoroughly combine. There will still be some larger chunks of scapes. I like the chunks- if you don't, keep mashing! If using a food processor, drizzle the olive oil while pulsing.
- Use as a marinade, a bruschetta topping. Put this in your minestrone or a soup that needs a little punch. Brightens up poultry.
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.