If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Elderflowers or fiori di sambuco are in bloom in Italy! This flower from the elderberry tree makes a lovely light floral lemonade-like flavored syrup to be added to drinks (sparking water, vodka, gin or grappa), desserts or sorbets - depending on your mood. It makes an amazing vinegerette over salad as well! This can be served along breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner - perfect a for hot summer's day!
- La Tavola Marche
Serves 3 bottles
- 20 elderflowers (nice big heads), gently shake off any insects & trim any excess branches/leaves
- 4 lemons, sliced
- 1.5 kilo sugar
- 1.8 liters water
- 60 g gallons citric acid
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve.
- Once cooled, pour the the sugar-water and all ingredients into a big jar & cover, leave for 36-48 hours, stirring occasionally. (Some recipes say up to 3 days).
- Then remove lemons & elderflowers and strain the water a few times (if you have a cheese cloth it will help). Pour the syrup into a pot and cook for about 3-5 minutes minutes.
- Then pour the liquid into clean sterilized glass bottles. Close them. Let them cool before placing in the refrigerator. If using a secure seal, they will keep for almost a year in the refrigerator.
- To serve, pour 1-3 tablespoons of the syrup into a pint glass and add water or seltzer. Or you can add a tablespoon to a couple shots of vodka or gin.
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.