If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love cherry tomatoes and especially love the varieties available. With a box of cherry heirlooms, this preparation came to mind. The trick was to come up with a bite that would be easy to prepare and not wind up on everyone's laps or my floor. Serving the bites enveloped in romaine lettuce leaves makes it easy for eaters to wrap up the filling, and enjoy the feeling of a BLT. I prefer using feta cheese to blue cheese or chevre - blue cheese will be sharper in flavor; chevre milder. - Bevi
Serves 4 people 3 bites each
- 12 smaller romaine lettuce leaves, from the center of the head
- handfuls cherry tomatoes, various varieties if possible, cut into quarters or sixths, depending on the size of the tomato
- 3 tablespoons feta cheese, blue cheese, or chevre
- 2 strips cooked bacon - make sure it is very crispy
- 1 teaspoon good mayonnaise
- Wash and thoroughly dry the small lettuce leaves.
- With a rolling pin, crush the crispy bacon into very small bits. Set aside.
- Place the feta cheese in a bowl and crush it with a fork until you have very small grains of cheese.
- Add the bacon bits to the feta, and then add the mayonnaise. Crush and combine with a fork until you have created a paste.
- With a butter knife, spread the cheese and bacon mixture along the inner spine of the lettuce leaves. Then arrange the tomato pieces along the center of the leaves, atop the spread.
- Place on a platter or individual serving plates. It's easy to wrap the sides of the lettuce leaves around the filling to contain all the goodies inside!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring