If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Salmorejo is a very typical cold tomato soup from the south of Spain. It's similar to gazpacho, but creamier, thicker, and more flavorful. The soup is perfect to bring to a party, as it can be made ahead of time.
Salmorejo is garnished with Serrano ham, or even better, Iberico ham, along with some hard boiled egg and bread croutons. The ham contributes flavor, the bread adds the crunchiness, and the egg gives the whole thing some texture. Make sure to invest in good ham, high-quality olive oil, and very ripe tomatoes. - Maria@spoonglish
Food52 Review: I had never heard of this lovely version of a gazpacho prior to testing this recipe. I was not able to duplicate the perfectly smooth consistency in maria@spoonglish's photo, though it might've been possible if I'd strained it after blending. That said, I loved the flavor of the soup, as well as the lovely silken texture which resulted from a generous dose of olive oil. In the future, I could see serving this in shot glasses with an olive oil-laced crouton and slice of hard boiled egg as an hors d'oeuvre. - boulangere
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 slices of white sandwich bread or country bread
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped Serrano ham (or prosciutto)
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Make a cross with a knife on the bottom of each tomato and put them in the boiling water for 30 seconds, in small batches. This makes removing the skin much easier.
- Peel and quarter the tomatoes, then put them in a blender. Add the garlic cloves. Soak the bread in water for a few seconds, squeeze it with your hands, and add it to the blender. Purée until smooth, about 3 minutes depending on your blender.
- Open the blender and add the oil, salt ,and vinegar. Put the top on the blender and purée for 10 more seconds. Pour the soup into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with croutons, Serrano ham, and hard boiled egg. Drizzle with olive oil.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Warm Weather Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
This burger's all that and a bag of barbecue-flavored chips.
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Behind the scenes.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.