If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I switch up the greens that I saute as a bed for my eggs, but the jar of bacon jam in the fridge is a staple. It's perfect to add a little bacony flavor to anything from a grilled cheese to some sunny side up eggs to a quick pasta sauce. Once you try it, you'll want to keep some in your fridge all the time too. —Meatballs&Milkshakes
- 1/2 pound thick cut applewood smoked bacon, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 3 tablespoons freshly brewed, strong coffee
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup water (as needed)
- salt and pepper to taste
Eggs with Bacon Jam
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup greens, such as swiss chard, spinach, ramps, etc
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons bacon jam
- For the Bacon Jam: Render the bacon until most of the fat has been rendered and can be drained off. Remove to a paper towel, leaving a tablespoon of bacon fat.
- Saute the onions in the bacon fat until they have caramelized, about 12-15 minutes. Add the garlic and stir through. (Garlic is added later so that it doesn’t burn) Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low heat for about an hour, adding water as necessary.
- For the Eggs: Saute the greens in the olive oil until they have wilted and caramelized a bit. Remove to a plate. Add the eggs carefully so as not to break the yolks and fry to desired cooking (I like the yolks runny so I leave them sunny side up). Season with salt and pepper and serve on top of the greens with a spoonful of bacon jam. If the jam is straight from the fridge, you can warm it up in the pan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.