If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: my mother always had an strange, inexplicable aversion to meatloaf, so, unlike most people, I did not grow up eating it. luckily for me, my first meatloaf experience came courtesy of an excellent cook --- a friend who did grow up eating, and loving, meatloaf. I have been working on my own version ever since. —sweet enough
for the meatloaf
- 4 pounds equal parts ground pork, veal and beef
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary and thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper (about 1 1/2 teaspoons of each)
for the mushroom gravy
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- salt and pepper
- heat oven to 350 degrees. cook the onions and garlic in a pan with the olive oil until translucent. remove from heat. in a large bowl mix together with your hands the meat, breadcrumbs , rosemary, thyme, garlic, egg, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire, salt, pepper and cooked onion and garlic. do not over mix.
- shape the meat mixture into a loaf and place it into a lightly oiled baking dish and bake for 1 hour. remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for at least 20 minutes.
- for the gravy: while the meatloaf is in the oven place the butter and mushrooms in a pan and cook over a medium heat until they release their liquid. add the flour and cook for about three minutes, taking care that the flour doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan and burn. add the stock and stir well. reduce the mixture by about 1/4 and add the wine. add the thyme leaves and salt and pepper. simmer, stirring every now and then, until the sauce is reduced by about 1/2. correct seasoning.
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.