If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The starting point for this recipe is a basic dry cure with pink salt. You could very easily omit the pink salt but the end result won't be the same. The goose won't be pink like ham or have that characteristic tang to the tongue that pink salt cured meats possess. That said it doesn't mean it is any less good if you choose to omit the pink salt it just isn't the same. The basic dry cure is 8 oz. kosher salt, 4 oz. sugar, and 1 oz. of pink salt. You can order pink salt online under names like insta cure #1 or TCM. - thirschfeld
- 4 goose or duck legs, thighs attached
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon basic dry cure, or 1 /12 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup carrot, small dice
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- a bouquet of fresh marjoram, thyme, rosemary and sage
- Place the goose legs into a tight fitting non reactive container. Combine the thyme, rosemary, sage, marjoram, garlic, black pepper and dry cure in a small bowl. Mix the seasonings thoroughly. Rub the seasoning onto all sides of the goose legs. Wrap the container and let sit in the fridge 12-18 hours.
- At the end of the curing period remove the legs from the fridge and rinse them thoroughly. Rinse out the tight fitting container and place the legs, skin side up, back into it. Cover the container tightly with foil.
- Place the legs into a preheated 275? F oven and bake them for 3 hours or until tender but still succulent and moist.
- Remove the legs from the oven and turn the heat to 450 F.
- While the oven is heating place the onion and carrots into a sauce pan. Add a pinch of salt and ground white pepper. Add cold water so it just covers the carrots and add the 1/3 cup butter. Place the carrots on the heat and bring them to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer until tender.
- Uncover the goose legs, scatter the bouquet of herbs over the top and place the legs back into the oven. Bake until the skin is crispy and dark. About 10 minutes.
- When the legs are just about browned turn the heat under the carrots to high and add the peas. You just want to heat the peas not really cook them. Add the thyme, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls