If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mache is a more popular lettuce in Europe than it is in the United States. These sweet mild leaves were first foraged by French peasants until Andre Le Notre, King Louis XIV's gardener, decided mache was the new trendy salad. When Le Notre had a little down time from laying out Versailles, he was influencing the French Potager Garden. Maybe the Sun King liked a salad.
I like a salad too, and I often like one for a light dinner option. My Sun King inspired salad is healthy and diet worthy. With the addition of a little turkey sausage it becomes a more substantial meal with another layer of flavor. Give it a try, after all, it's fit for a King. —Barbara McGraw
Serves 2 for dinner salad or 4 side salads
- 8 ounces Mache
- 1 shallot
- 5 ounces shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 pound pre-cooked turkey sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 small sourdough baguette
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Finely chop shallot and saute in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Slice shitake mushrooms and add them in, saute for 2 minutes.
- Slice pre-cooked turkey sausage into bite size pieces and add them to the pan to heat through, about one minute.
- Juice lemon into large salad bowl. Combine with two tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Rinse and dry mache leaves and add to salad bowl.
- Combine sausage mixture with the mache and toss gently.
- Slice small baguette into large cubes. Place them on a cookie sheet and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and salt and pepper. Pop them under the broiler for about one minute before serving. Watch they don't burn.
- Plate up your mache salad and top it with the gorgonzola cheese and hot croutons.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.