Author Notes: Why serve this to your kids? 1) because pickled red onions, like smoked paprika, make everything better; 2) because avocado is what you give children instead of giving in to more butter please; 3) because of my self-deluded, Jenny Rosenstrach-bolstered faith that, even in our new state, kale is not a four-letter word. From Dinner: A Love Story by Jenny Rosenstrach (Ecco, 2012) - Nicholas
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1 bunch kale, washed, stems removed and chopped (8-10 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil. Add the red onion and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the onion and let cool.
- In a large pot of salted water, boil the kale for 2 minutes. Strain, dry, and then add to the pickled onions. Toss both with the oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and avocado.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!