If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A flavorful rice dish served throughout Russia and Eastern Europe —Tatyana Nesteruk
- 1 pound boneless beef ribs
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 head of garlic, cut if half crosswise
- 1 8 - ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- 1/4 cup dried barberries
- 1 cup Calrose rice
- Sour cream, fresh heirloom tomatoes for serving
- - Season cubed beef generously with salt and black pepper. Preheat large, nonstick heavy sauté pan to medium/high heat and add a splash of olive oil. Once oil is hot, add beef until it develops a dark brown color. Add to pan beef stock, 2 cups water, paprika, coriander, cumin, ginger, black pepper and salt and stir together. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour until meat is tender.
- - While meat is simmering, preheat separate frying pan with several tablespoons of oil. Add to pan diced onion, carrot and garlic. Fry over medium heat until golden brown. After meat has simmered for 30 minutes, add mixture to meat pan.
- - Once meat has cooked for 1 hour or until tender, add garbanzo beans and barberries and stir to combine. Sprinkle uncooked rice over the meat – there should still be some liquid in pan. DO NOT stir the rice and meat together, simply sprinkle the rice in an even layer over the meat. Sprinkle with black pepper and light salt. Then slowly add water, over the back of a spoon so as not to disturb rice layer, until there is a 3cm layer of water over the rice. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 – 40 minutes. Do not stir the rice during cooking time – occasionally form small holes with a spoon in the rice to allow steam to come through. (Stirring is avoided to create light and airy rice that is not mashed together: don’t worry, it will not burn!)
- Stir together rice and beef once the rice is done cooking. Serve hot with a spoon of sour cream and a side of sliced tomatoes and cucumbers or with several pickles. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
Be a Little Saucy
Chicken dinners with slammin' sauces
It's all about the sauce.
Recipe of the Day
It's time to travel.
Fish for your lunch.