If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I first made this salad one summer evening a few years ago when I came home from work with an avocado and a basket of plump Yellow Pear tomatoes from the market. It's a product of rooting about in the cupboards and tossing random ingredients together. Now it's my favorite summer meal, alongside a hard boiled egg and homemade focaccia. When Yellow Pear tomatoes aren't in season, I'll substitute a regular yellow tomato. Red tomatoes are too sweet for this salad; they overpower the richness of the avocado. - beyondcelery
- 1 avocado
- 8 dried apricots, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1 yellow tomato or about 10 small Yellow Pear tomatoes
- 10 leaves fresh spinach, roughly cut
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 shakes freshly ground black pepper
- pinch or two Himalayan pink salt
- Prepare your ingredients: dice dried apricots, lightly toast sliced almonds, wash and roughly cut spinach leaves, slice yellow tomato into halves. If you're using Yellow Pear tomatoes, just cut them in half.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, pepper, and salt. You're mainly dissolving the salt into the dressing. Let it sit for a minute or two before using, so the balsamic vinegar and olive oil mostly separate again.
- Layer the salad on 2 plates. Make a bed of roughly cut spinach. Top with slices of tomato. Peel and slice avocado over this. (You may prepare slices of avocado a few minutes ahead, but you want the slices to be very fresh on the salad or they'll begin to brown.) Scatter diced dried apricots over avocado, then scatter toasted almonds over everything. Dress it right before serving, spooning the dressing gently over the salad so oil and vinegar are visibly distinct. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce