Author Notes: What makes this simple hot dog recipe good is the combination of garnishes. This hot dog is called the Italiano in Chile for a reason: The colors of the garnish mimic the Italian flag. Avocado for green, Mayo for White and finally chopped tomatoes for the red.
Traditionally, Chileans love, i mean LOVE their mayo (Wikipedia has it at # 3 for per capita consumption but i doubt this counts home or restaurant made mayo prevalent in most sandwich joints) so feel free to scale back.
Here I replace guacamole for the original mashed avocado for some heat and complexity (think of your favorite freshly chopped capsicum, onions, some lime, cilantro and garlic).
- bobby bender
Makes 4 italianos
- 4 Hot Dogs
- 4 Buns
- 11/2 cups your favorite Guac recipe (i know you have one)
- 2-3 Medium Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 cup Home made mayo or Aioli
- Prep your Mayo or Aioli using immersion blender (use commercial Mayo if your in a pinch). I put one whole egg into a jar and add 1/2 - 2/3 of a cup of canola oil, 1 tsp dijon, 1 tsp of sherry or other vinegar and salt to taste. place immersion blender on bottom of jar and pulse a few times, slowly lift blender while running to emmulsify remaining oil, add a tbsp of water to thin out if desired. Important Note: you can always add more oil after but if you begin with too much oil it will break.
- Seed, finely chop and season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Boil or grill your hot dogs (I prefer natural casing dogs for that nice snap), warm buns in toaster oven and assemble by toping your dog with 2-3 tbsp of chopped tomato, on top of that and to contain it a really thick schmear of Guac and finally a tablespoon or 2 of homemade mayo to top it off. Hope you enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados